Monday, October 28, 2013

How to make my Mac and Cheese grilled cheese.

I'm really into this new grilled cheese that I made for my son. He's a pretty picky eater so I try and add flavor without turning him off. My hope is one day he'll be a foodie like his father and I. Contrary to it's name there isn't Mac and Cheese in the sandwhich but, it has the M&C flavor both Escher and I love.

I start with bakery bread, mostly a Chicago style or Italian. My favorite places for bread are Publix bakery or the Dekalb farmers market. Grilled cheese actually works best if the bread is a least a day old so that it get a bit more of a crunch to it. So, here's my secret to "Mac and Cheese grilled cheese"- Trader Joe's "Pub Cheese". This spreadable tangy cheese is good for so many things. You can spread it on a baggette for a quick snack or you can dip you veggies in it. However, my favorite thing about this cheese is how gooy and delious it gets when melted. I feel a good complement to the Pub cheese is a munster (I use two slices). Munster also melts really well and does that stringy melty cheese thing that I like.

So here's how you make the simple yet delicious sandwich:

-Put your nonstick pan on the stove at medium heat to get warm while you prep your sandwich.

-Spread butter or margarin on one side of both pieces of bread.

-On one piece of your bread place it on your work surface butter down and spread about a tablespoon of Pub cheese on it.

-Put this piece of bread butter side down in your warm pan, place two slices of munster cheese on top of your spread of Pub cheese. Then place the other buttered piece of bread butter side out on top.

- Turn heat up slightly and don't touch it for a few minutes. To check if it's ready to flip I lift the corner up with my spatula and see if it's golden brown. When it is flip and smash down (not too much so that your cheese doesn't seep out).

-The second side doesn't take as long as the first so be ready.

And there you go. Super simple yet super delicious!

No comments: