Sunday, November 24, 2013

Indie Craft Experience is pretty cool.


Since their popup shop in Criminal Records last holiday season I've followed the girls of the Indie Craft Experience. Last year's Christmas' gifts were significantly cooler thanks to this cool Popup shop. Meet the ladies of ICE:

How cute are these two? 
                                                                              (Image from ICE website)
Christy Patterson and Shannon Mulkey founded The Indie Craft Experience in 2005. They also organize Wedding Day Hooray and Salvage. As a developing crafter and art entrepreneur I aspire to be a cool as these girls. Their annual Holiday Popup shop is a keenly curated and extremely shop-able selections of art and goods. This year the girls moved into a new space at, 1390 Mclendon Ave. Candler Park, Georgia. In addition to there holiday season popup, they have the Indie Craft Experience's "Holiday Shopping Spectacular". The "Shopping Spectacular" is a weekend event happing now (Nov. 23rd and 24th) at Ambient Plus Studios in Atlanta.

I wanted to find out more about ICE so when they asked for volunteers to stuff gift bags I jumped at an opportunity to help out. I joined a cool and diverse group of vendors, volunteers and friends who gathered Thursday night to get ready for the big "Shopping Spectacular". I must admit a small part of me went just to check out the gift bag's swag. I'm happy I did because it was a fun night filled with cookies and a couple of Christmas beers.

The bags themselves were worth getting there before they open Saturday or Sunday and standing in line (they only give them out to the first people). The bags are credited to:  http://littlethingsstudio.com/
and https://www.etsy.com/shop/thimblepress.  There was a black one and a red one and, both designs were adorable. I took home the black design since it had woodland creatures on it (they gave us all one- I did not steal it):

One of the items I stuffed was this handcrafted soap made locally by "Soapzilla. This honey and beeswax soap was one of my favorite pieces of swag. It not only has an amazing Dinosaur on the packaging but it smells really fresh.



While stuffing gift bags I met a super cool vendor named Lucy Ricketts. She's an illustrator and does the most amazing lumber jack prints. I'm a huge fan the print on her business card as well (shown bellow). I will probably end up collecting a lot of her stuff. Make sure to check out more of her work at http://www.lucyricketts.com/ .

(Image stolen from business cards)
Yesterday I went to their "Shopping Spectacular" event. It was amazing and I wanted pretty much everything. The vendors were cool, artistic, and super skilled. I collected cards to form my best of list. To be fair I was with a two year old so I missed some of the booths but, I had a hard time choosing from all of the booths I did see. Here's my "Best of ICE Holiday Shopping Spectacular" shot:


While there I got a couple of Christmas gifts and, picked up something for myself. Ladies and Gentleman meet my new, vintage Dooney & Bourke. I picked it up from Lily & Lucille-Vintage and Antiques. It was love at first sight and the girls who run this curated vintage booth are adorable. For an off-holiday fix of some of their other amazing vintage finds you can visit their booth at the Queen of Hearts store in Alpharetta.



Speaking of favorites, I discovered this artist who makes super-amazing, clay robots. Collectively, my family decided we'll purchase one of his large robot creations in the near future. Michael Klapthor not only makes these amazing sculptures but, he teaches at Callanwolde. Make sure to check out his work here: http://www.mklapthor.com/.

(I stole this image from his Facebook page)
At the top of my Christmas wish list is any of Heather Lund's Wes Anderson screen prints. It's everything I love; Wes Anderson, art, and screen printing. Well done, Heather. You should also check out her Scoutmob Shoppe. I want all of them (this is not the best quality picture but, trust me they're good):

(Stollen from the internets)

This Holiday Popup is one of my new favorite holiday traditions. So, find the Indie Craft Experience on Facebook to stay updated on what these two will do next. If you hurry you can still make the 'Shopping Spectacular" (ends today at 6pm) at Ambient plus Studio. If you can't do that in few hours it has left, no worries you still have over a month to shop the Popup in Candler Park
(open until December 30). I hope you find something you love or the perfect gift for your loved ones.

Have the best day!

* All information was gathered via booth chatting or internet stalking so let me know if anything is inaccurate. ;)

No comments: